• SATs or ACTs are required by most four-year colleges and universities, and should be completed no later than December of your senior year. Check dates for the SAT and ACT tests. These tests are highly recommended to be taken in the spring of the junior year, and/or in the fall of the senior year.
  • Check out the college catalogs located in the counseling office.
  • Come up with a preliminary list of colleges.
  • Explore the websites of the colleges that interest you to learn about admissions requirements.
  • Check your senior year class schedule to make sure you’re taking the English, Math, Social Science, Science, and Foreign Language classes you’ll need for your top-choice colleges.
  • Look over the Common Application and begin thinking about potential topics for your .
  • Visit campuses and interview with college representatives if appropriate.



  • Meet with College Counseling to make sure your classes meet high school graduation requirements, as well as college entrance requirements, and to complete your individual graduation credit check.
  • Register online for SAT or ACT tests.  Register at and
  • SB College Night will be held Monday, Sept. 18 at 6pm.
  • Humboldt County College and Career Night will be held at Eureka High on Sept. 21 @5:30-8pm. All students are encouraged to attend.


  • Applications for the University of California ( and the California State University (Cal State Apply) campuses are now available online.
  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
  • To simplify the FAFSA online application process, first complete the FAFSA on the Web Worksheet (
  • Parents need to request their own PIN number online at in order to sign FAFSA electronically and check application progress online.
  • Go to to determine EFC (Estimated Family Contribution) portion of college expenses. Online calculator tool assists families in financial planning for federal student aid.
  • HSU will hold their Fall Admissions Day on October 27. It’s a great opportunity for students to sit in on classes, meet faculty, staff, and students, housing and facility tours, and more.
  • Request, by phone or online, paper applications from other four-year colleges and universities, or apply online.
  • Write personal statement essays for the UCs and select private schools.
  • Check out to find out about a specific major, search for majors that interest you, or explore majors available at university campuses in California. This interactive site also provides course transfer information for students planning to transfer from a California community college to a UC or CSU.
  • Have your parents check the personnel office where they work to see if their employers offer scholarships. Also, check parents’/guardians’ unions, fraternal organizations, such as Elks, Moose Lodge, and churches, etc.


  • 30th is the application deadline for all UC ( and most CSU (Cal State Apply) university campuses. Be sure you have also applied for housing at the college of your choice.
  • Plan to visit college and university campuses over the Thanksgiving break to help you decide on the best school for you.
  • Apply to two or more four-year colleges due to impacted campuses or programs at certain colleges and universities.
  • Check out the SB Counseling office page on the school website ( for scholarships as well as Humboldt Area Foundation,, and FREE national scholarship searches, such as,,,, and


  • Last opportunity to take the ACT Plus Writing, SAT Reasoning or SAT subject tests for most UC & CSU campuses.
  • Plan to visit college and university campuses over the holiday break to help you decide on the best school for you.
  • Begin looking for scholarships by exploring free scholarship search websites.


  • Request mid-year transcripts from our registrar, if required by colleges.
  • Application is available online for Humboldt Area Foundation,


  • Be sure you have applied for housing at the college of your choice.
  • Contact the Scholarship Office in person or online at the colleges and universities you have applied to for scholarships they may offer.


  • Check out college orientation information and campus preview dates.
  • Read bulletin for scholarship announcements.
  • Most colleges and universities send notification of admission status this month.


  • Be sure to attend informational meetings and visit college campuses to help you decide on the best school for you.


  • Notify colleges of your intent to enroll by May 1st.
  • Continue to check the school bulletin for possible scholarship opportunities.


  • Request final transcripts to be sent to your intended college.
  • International students need to turn in I-20 Transfer Out forms to the counseling office.